Assignment #5

The meaning of identity are qualities of a person that define who you are. Dominant narrative is a story that a person with privilege would say to a person who doesn’t. Counter narrative is a story or perspective that a marginalized person tell about themselves. I think we have our own counter narrative because people don’t know things about yourself and they wouldn’t know difficulties that you face as a person. Its also important because you can state the fact that you know and tell the person that is saying the dominant things of your identity that there is a cause of everything.

First of all, dominant narratives are story that people that have power say of people that don’t. A counter narrative is stories of a marginalized people say about themselves. A personal example is like some people have told me that I was weak and short. thats a dominant narrative because the person is taller than me. The counter narrative would be stating I’m not weak because i know how to play volleyball and I’m pretty good a serving and I’ve seen plenty of tall people that cant serve. One of my picture shows a guy and girl saying things they like and the girl says she likes to be like a princes and that is not true for me. That’s not true for me because I like the color blue and I like to be athletic.

Second of all ,one of my counter narrative is that colors don’t have genders because a boy can like pink and a girl can like blue and there is nothing to be afraid of. And my identity is that I like the color blue. That picture artifacts my counter narrative because people say pink color is for girls and that is not true because boys can like the color pink also. I was put to put a moon with a sun because that is just something I want to represent as that I have been seeing night and day and that every day has been a good day because I am living.

Third of all,  one of my identities is that I am a student from fremont high because that is true. Also because it was my decision to come here. I put a picture of the school because I go to that school. Another example of my identities is that I like to play volleyball and that is how I identify myself. I put picture of a quote saying that my heart will be always in the court because I really like playing volleyball even though I can have a hard time. This is one of my identities because really like playing volleyball. I also put blue roses because I like the color blue and I like roses.

6 thoughts on “Assignment #5”

1. Dear Juana,

I really liked your shadow box because you put a lot of color in it. It is also very cool you put a lot of work in your box. I like how you talked about Volleyball and how that is important to you. I put things about running on my box because I was on the cross country team. I also like how you talked about Dominant narratives about girls and how you want to show the counter narrative.

Thank you for writing this speaks out about a lot of important things. I hope you keep writing

Thomas.

2. Dear Juana:
    I am Surprise by the work you did. your shadow box was cool and I like the way you show your Dominant narrative and you seif. I like the way you did your shadow box and when the box when up. “First of all one of my counter narrative is that colors don’t have genders because a boy can like pink and a girl were like blue and there is nothing to be afraid of.” I like this quote a lot because this is something that I want to said. I agree with you that people should not be seeing as there color that they like. one reason that I say this is because that I like pink too.

1. Thank you for the comment and it cool that you like pink. I also know other boys that like pink but they usually don’t like to show it but in my opinion liking whatever color is nice, just stand up to it.

3. Dear Juana,
    Your shadow box really stood out to me because it has a lot of color and images but also it looks like it holds a lot of meanings and values. Your images stood out to me because it really seemed like you thought about what images to put in to show your values. I really like how you talked about how important volleyball has become and how other peoples comments did not stop you from playing volleyball. The way you talked about the colors and genders because it really shows that you are not only standing up for yourself and others. Thank You for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you have very good counter narratives to share and I enjoy reading about stories of people that have had the same experiences as me.

1. Thank you for the comment. I really appreciate how you took the time to read my paragraphs and that we have somewhat they same experiences :).